“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

- Martin Luther King’s Letter from a Birmingham Jail

When inequality and hostility immobilize you at your workplace you need professional help. I found myself in that position, alone, afraid and uncertain of how to proceed. I contacted LAMBDA and they gave me the name of Elisa Stewart. From that point forward, my life turned for the better. From 3,000 miles away this woman came here to protect and defend my rights, like the Calvary. She provided me ...

Overtime Wage Regulations in California

California has many laws and regulations established in order to protect employees’ rights in the work force, including the right to overtime wages. Employers are obligated to pay their employees additional wages for working excessive hours. Our San Francisco employment lawyer at Stewart & Musell, LLP discusses how much you should be paid for overtime work.

How Much Should I Be Getting Paid For Overtime?

Eight hours of work a day constitutes a full work day, resulting in a total of 40 hours a week. If your workday exceeds 8 hours or six days in a row, you should receive additional payment for overtime.

Overtime wages are based on the employee’s regular rate of pay. Your regular rate is the amount that you are usually paid, including hourly, salary, and commissions. In no instance should the regular rate of your pay be less than the minimum wage established by the state.

Overtime rates abide to the following guidelines:

  • After 8 consecutive hours, your overtime wages are 1 and 1/2 your regular rate of pay.
  • After 12 consecutive hours, your overtime wages are double your regular rate of pay.
  • On your 7th consecutive day, wages are 1 and 1/2 your regular rate during the first 8 hours.
  • On your 7th consecutive day, wages are double your regular rate after your first 8 hours.

These overtime wages must be paid within the next regular payroll period. If your employer hasn’t paid you yet, they are in direct violation with labor laws and could be withholding your pay.

What Do I Do If My Employer Won’t Pay Me Overtime?

If your employer isn’t paying you your overtime wages, you have two courses of action you can take. First, you can file a wage claim with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and they will pursue further action. Or, you can file a lawsuit against your employer with the help of an employment lawyer.

If you would like to file a lawsuit and are in need of a San Francisco employment attorney to represent you, our legal team at Stewart & Musell, LLP provides excellent and client-driven advocacy for legal issues involving employment and wages. Discuss the details of your case in a free consultation.